Representation within Children Proceedings
The Government has now abolished legal aid for children cases, except in certain circumstances:
- The case involves allegations of domestic abuse – supported by specific documentary evidence.
- The case involves allegations of child abuse.
- The Local Authority has issued proceedings to take children into Care or for a Supervision Order.
As a result, many people facing legal proceedings in relation to arrangements for children are now faced with the prospect of either instructing Solicitors on a private fee paying basis, or are facing the dilemma of having to represent themselves, which can be very challenging, particularly at such an emotional time.
Some people may feel confident to conduct the case themselves, drafting their own court application and court documents and engaging in correspondence with the other person, or their Solicitors. However, it often proves very daunting to actually have to attend Court alone, especially when the other person has legal representation.
This is where we can help.
We can offer you an Advocacy service which will include:
- A fixed fee one hour consultation with you before the date of the Court hearing, to discuss matters with you and to look at your documentation.
- We will attend Court with you and represent you at the hearing, as your Advocate.
- We will also provide you with a written letter explaining the outcome of the hearing and what steps you will subsequently need to take.
- We will discuss the fee with you prior to the hearing, which will depend on the length of the hearing, and where this is likely to take place. You will know in advance what the cost will be.
Within our team we have our specialist children lawyer, who was a Law Society Children Panel Member for 11 years, has been employed by this firm for 17 years and has wide-ranging experience in dealing with all aspects of child related proceedings. Her knowledge of Children Law is exceptional, as are her skills in negotiation and advocacy, (having historically dealt with extremely complex cases, which have regularly included final contested hearings).
Our Team are here to support you, providing sound and solid advice, and we will utilise our wide ranging skills and experience to the very best of our ability, to ensure the most successful outcome for you, whilst remaining child focused throughout.