At this festive time of year we are all in a rush but did you know if you are caught speeding the minimum penalty you could receive is a £100 fine and 3 penalty points added to your licence.

What happens?

If you’re caught by a speed camera you will be sent Notice of Intended Prosecution and a Section 172 notice within 14 days. The Section 172 notice must be returned within 28 days, informing the police who was driving the vehicle. You will then be sent a Fixed Penalty Notice.

If you ignore this notice you may have to go to court.

If you’re stopped by the police you may be given a verbal warning, Fixed Penalty Notice or a summons to go to court.

Fixed Penalty Notice

You can choose to plead guilty or not guilty to a Fixed Penalty Notice.

If you plead guilty you will have to pay a £100 fine and have 3 points added to your licence. However, you may be given the option to attend a speed awareness course if it’s your first offence, or if you have not been on a speed awareness course in the last 3 years.

If you plead not guilty you will more than likely have to attend court to enter this plea and there is a risk that you could receive a higher fine and receive more penalty points if the court decides you’re guilty of speeding.

If you build up 12 or more penalty points within a period of 3 years, commonly known as ‘totting’ up, you could be disqualified from driving.

If you are a new driver and haven’t had your licence for more than 2 years it could be revoked if you build up 6 or more penalty points.

Here at Paul Robinson Solicitors we understand the importance of being able to drive, whether it is for work or family commitments. We are specialists in Exceptional Hardship, which is where the Courts will hear specially prepared legal argument putting forward any exceptional reason not to disqualify you. We have a strong track record of successful outcomes in these matters and deal with all types of motoring and driving offences. We offer fixed fee consultations and our specialist solicitors can provide you with representation at Court.

If you require any assistance or clarification on these matters please do not hesitate to contact us on 01702 338338 or 01277 500123 or by email [email protected].