When planning to take children on holiday abroad at any time, what most people do not realise, is the fact that if there are two parents who both hold Parental Responsibility for the children, and only one parent is travelling with the children, the other parent must provide written consent for the child / children to travel abroad.

If a Child Arrangements Order is in place, then different rules will apply.  However, the majority of people do not have such a Court Order in place, and are unaware of the rules and regulations.

A letter or document can be requested at a UK or foreign border, and if such a letter or documentation is not provided, then this can obviously cause delays and problems at the last minute.

The other problem that maybe encountered is if a single parent is travelling with a child/children with a different surname, and again, evidence may be required in the form of a birth, or adoption, certificate.

If you are taking other children on holiday with you, such as relatives or your children’s friends, then you will require written consent from those children’s parents as well.

If grandparents are travelling with their grandchildren without the parents, then they too will require written permission.

Travel to some countries requires a standard form to be completed prior to travelling, and we have experienced this being necessary for countries such as America, South Africa, and Australia.

It is always worth checking prior to departing for the holiday, and a standard format usually needs to be followed with regard to the information required.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact our Miss Annette Lowen of our Children Department via the contact form below or by phone on 01702 662963 (Essex)  020 35537115 (London). , who can provide further additional advice to you and assist in drafting any necessary documentation, together with providing certified copies.

We offer an initial consultation of up to an hour appointment, for a fixed fee, which includes a follow up attendance note of the matters discussed, and we will be able to advise you as to the likely cost of any further work to be undertaken.